Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring Has Sprung!

Emma just counted and 6 weeks has passed since Puxatawny Phil saw his shadow. We are sitting on the front stoop enjoying the sun as I type—gotta love wireless. As weekends go, this has been an excellent one. Friday after work, a colleague and I went and got birthday burritos at Boloco for only $4. YUMMY. After a short trip home, I stopped by Joe's to visit the crew. A beer and a half later, I was ready to sleep.

Saturday morning, I got up, drove into Boston, and took the commuter train out to West Natick, which is exactly 18 miles from the finish line for the marathon. At 9 am, Juliette, a 25 year old from Dedham, and I set off down Route 135. We chatted about food, work, facials, anything. Somewhere before Wellesley, a delightful young woman who's name I can't remember, but is 18, goes to Dickinson College in PA, but was home in Groton for Spring Break, joined us and we kept on trucking. After Wellesley Center, Jo, an Englishwoman who has run the Geneva marathon, started running along as well. The perfect weather ... a good pace ... good conversation ... made it possible for us all to get through Newton, up Heartbreak, and down to BC. Three of us stopped for a water break, but Jo kept on going. As we went down Comm. Ave, and turned right and then a quick left onto Beacon.

It was an amazing feeling running down Beacon because I know it so well. I've been in Boston now 22 years!!! As we ran down closer to the Citgo sign which my young college friend kept mentioning, I pointed out some of the bars and restaurants I have spent time in over the years - 2 decades! The girls laughed because there are many of them. At one point though, I did think, hey, I've run 17 miles, why don't I just stop? And then I thought about 5 weeks from tomorrow when stopping won't be an option.

2 hours and 32 minutes after I left the commuter rail station in West Natick, I stopped in front of the library in Copley Square. I had run the entire time, averaging 8:50 minute miles with women, or should I really say girls, decades younger than me. It was an amazing experience, and I can only imagine what it's going to be like on race day since there will be 1000s of people along the route. As I keep telling myself, it will either be the greatest day of my life or the scariest day, or both ; )

After the run and a hot shower, I got to spend time with 5 women I have known for the last 22 years. It was crazy fun. Laughing, shopping, eating. It's been a long time since I've hung out with people my age and it was great. I only lasted until 9 pm ... had to drive back to Dedham and get up early to prep for my WW meeting about "Feeding the Soul".

Today, I can walk. I led a pretty good meeting with 24 members—my biggest showing yet. I made them laugh and think, and celebrated some great successes. I even got a nice email from another leader who told me one of her members had come to my meeting and really enjoyed herself which to me is the best praise. And then, Emma and I climbed up the Blue Hills, which although not a vigorous hike with a 9 year old recovering from a cold, was an excellent source of cross-training. My thigh muscles did yell a bit on the way down, but I am still able to walk. 

It's 58 degrees right now and Emma is sweeping the winter sand off the stoop. It doesn't get much better than this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment