Monday, February 16, 2009

After all these years

In my twenties, I learned to ski. I loved it. Leo and I rented a condo with a bunch of people one year. Then life took over and I took 10 years off, and then spent a week skiing in 2003. And now, more than 5 years later, I went again and took Emma. I enrolled her in ski school, hoping she wouldn't pick up my bad lazy habits while I got in the singles line time and time again and swooshed down Wachusett Mountain a bunch of times. At lunch, I watched Emma as she struggled to get up off the ground and then as her teacher led her down the bunny hill that she and I had come down before 9 this morning - her mostly on her bum, but at least trying. When I talked to her about it, she said that everyone was better than she was at it. I think it's the first time Emma has not been the best at something ... great life lesson, but on a very bad day. The other thing, because she's 9 and fairly tall, she got bigger skiis than she could lug around. 

I had a great day ... even got a little sun/win burned. She had a tough time, but we agreed, we'll try again and maybe take a weekday off to do it since President's Day has to be one of the busiest days on the slopes anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment